Safetip #53: Implement & Monitor Solutions that Address Near Misses
Identify and Implement the Necessary Solutions
In a previous Safetip, we mentioned that the causes of near misses must be determined. Once causes have been determined, it’s time to identify a solution for each cause of a near miss. Many times near misses can be addressed with small changes, such as installing mats or carpets that prevent slips and falls in walking areas that could get wet because they are located near exits.
But there will be instances where a simple solution will not be enough, and a serious hazard will need to be addressed to reduce the risk of incidents. An OHS Insider article mentions the following safety measures that can be implemented to address the causes of a near miss, ranked from the most ideal to the least ideal:
- Elimination of the cause of the hazard.
- Reduction of the potential hazard level or degree of risk of exposure to it.
- Installation of safety devices.
- Installation of warning signs to alert people to the hazard.
- Implementation of new safe work procedures to account for the hazard.
- Increased worker awareness of the hazard, such as through safety talks.
Monitor the Implemented Solutions
According to the OHS Insider article, once a solution has been implemented, the workers affected by the near miss should be informed, including the worker who reported the near miss and those who work in the area where the near miss occurred. All workers must also receive proper training if the solution revises safety procedures or introduces new ones. Finally, the implemented solutions must be monitored to ensure that they are addressing effectively the causes of the near misses and are not creating unexpected hazards.
Here are links to additional Safetips on near miss reporting:
- Use Anonymity to Kick Start Near Miss Reporting
- Use Incentives to Encourage Near Miss Reporting
- Train Workers on Near Miss Reporting
- Define a “Near Miss” and Communicate Its Definition
- Prioritize Near Misses Before Determining Causes
- Use Near Miss Reporting as a Leading Indicator
Visit Enablon Insights again next Wednesday for a brand new Safetip!
Best-in-Class organizations realize that ingraining safety into the culture of the company is not only a compliance measure, but also provides tangible operational benefits. Download Aberdeen’s “Managing Safety to Promote Operational Excellence” report and learn more.